ISDP Forum: Nordic-Korea Cooperation for Peace and Development – Inauguration for the ISDP Stockholm Korea Center
Tuesday 15 May 2018 / 09:00 - 12:30 / Registration with coffee from 08:30
Stockholm Sjöfartshuset. Skeppsbron 10, 111 30 Stockholm. Click here for a map
RSVP Register here
A geopolitical hotspot. A dynamic democracy. A divided nation. A leading economy. A cultural exporter. Understanding Korea in the 21st century is relevant for the world beyond the clichés.
The Institute for Security and Development Policy is pleased to announce the launch of its Korea Center on Tuesday, May 15. Based in Stockholm, the Center aspires to be a focal point for research, dialogue, and exchange contributing to peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, as well as promoting cooperation and understanding between the Nordic countries and South Korea.
Following the introductions, there will be two panel sessions focused on Nordic-Korea relations followed, after the coffee break, by a discussion on the prospects for peace on the Korean Peninsula.
08:30 Coffee and mingling
09:00 Introductory remarks by Sangsoo Lee, Head of the ISDP Stockholm Korea Center
09:10 Congratulatory remarks by Sihyung Lee, President of the Korea Foundation
09:20 Remarks by Jeongkyu Lee, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to Sweden
09:25 Remarks by Henrik Bergquist, Head of Section, East Asia Department, Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs
09:30 Panel discussion: Nordic-Korea Relations: Shared Challenges, New Opportunities moderated by Lars Vargö, Distinguished Fellow at ISDP and former Swedish Ambassador to South Korea and Japan.
- Kijoung Cho, Counsellor, Embassy of the Republic of Korea, Sweden
- Geir Helgesen, Director of the Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, Denmark
- Annika Rembe, Director-General of the Swedish Institute, Sweden
10:40 Break with coffee and cake
11:00 Panel discussion: Prospects for Peace on the Korean Peninsula moderated by Per Eklund, ISDP Board Member & Senior Research Fellow
- Françoise Nicolas, Senior Research Fellow and Director, Center for Asian Studies, The French Institute of International Relations (IFRI), France
- Mark Suh, Senior Researcher at the Free University of Berlin and Member of the Pugwash Council, Germany
- Niklas Swanström, Executive Director of ISDP, Sweden
12:10 Closing remarks
This event has a limited number of seats, so please register as quickly as you can.
This event is kindly made possible with funding by the Korea Foundation.